This 8-week hands-on evening course aims to equip participants with the skills, knowledge and confidence to perform basic to intermediate mechanical repairs and maintenance on bikes of all types.
Course runs 1 weeknight per week for 8 weeks, 5.30-8.30pm.
(It can also be completed across 4 weekdays, 10am-4pm)
Week 1) Introduction; Tyres and Tubes
• Types of Tyres, Clincher, Tubular and Tubeless tyre
• Sizing of tyres and tubes; what size tube/tyre do you need for your bike?
• Why punctures occur and what causes them.
• Tyre pressures for different types of tyres and conditions.
• Demo of tubeless tyre setup
• Getting your wheels off and on your bike, both front and rear wheels (including internal gear hubs and single speeds).
• Tyre lever technique and usage, getting your tyres off and back onto your wheels
• Tube, tyre and pump technique, pumping your tyres effectively
• Patching a tube with a puncture repair kit
Week 2) Brakes
• Practical: Brake pad diagnosis and replacement, including disc and rim brake systems.
• Practical: Brake adjustment
• Cables: Cable diagnosis, lubrication, cutting to size, seating of ferrules, stretching and tensioning. Brake cable vs. Gear cable; outer and inner cables.
• Demo: brake cable replacement
• Demo: Shimano Hydraulic brake bleeding
• Other problems that may occur with brakes
Week 3) Gears
• Types of drivetrains – derailleur, single-speed, multi-speed hub gears, how gear shifters work.
• Practical: Gear adjustment – derailleur limits, cable tension adjustment.
• Practical: Gear cable replacement on your own bike or a demo bike.
• Demo: derailleur hanger alignment.
• Other issues that may affect gear shifting.
Week 4) Drivetrain
• Theory – gears for different conditions – range, number, gearing advantage
• Practical: Cleaning chains and cassettes
• Practical: Cassette/freewheel removal and fitting
• Practical: Chain removal, using a chain breaker
• Practical: Chainring sizing removal and fitting
• Theory: Chain measurement, sizing and replacement
Week 5) Bearings, Loose ball and Headsets
• Practical: Loose ball bearing hub servicing
• Practical: Headset adjustment and stem fitting.
• Demo: Headset installation
Week 6) Bearings, Sealed and Freehubs
• Practical: Threaded Bottom bracket removal and fitting
• Demo: Press-Fit Bottom bracket removal and fitting.
• Demo: Sealed Bearing hub overhaul
• Demo: Freehub Servicing
Week 7) Wheels
• Theory: Wheel design.
• Practical: Wheel truing.
• Practical: Spoke replacement.
Week 8) Final Week
• Theory: Bike Fit and bike geometries
• Wrap up and revision.
• ‘Open workshop’ fit any parts (subject to trainer approval, i.e. no groupset fitting) or revisit any techniques with trainer present.
Should I bring my own bike?
We definitely encourage this so you can undertake servicing and mechanical tasks on your own bike as part of the course. However, if you cannot bring your bike, we have plenty of demo bikes available for you to practice on.
What should I wear?
Preferably old clothes that you don’t mind getting a little dirty. We provide protective gloves to keep your hands clean and wash-up facilities are available on site. Closed-toe shoes in the workshop are required.
How do I get to 750 Collins St, Docklands?
We are close to the numerous bike paths, Southern Cross train station, the Collins St tram or parking is available in adjacent streets.
Do I need to have any prior experience?
The course has no prerequisites, however some basic bike knowledge is assumed. If you have any questions, just get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are there any restrictions on course participation?
We cater for all riders and all bike types. We have no age limits other than those 16 or under require an adult enrolment at the same time.
The course is very hands-on and class sizes are limited to eight to ensure appropriate attention to all participants.
Who teaches this course?
The course instructor will be one of Good Cycles’ highly qualified, professional trainers with many years of practical experience, both in the workshop and on the road.
Booking cancellations more than 7 days before the course date will be refunded less a 15% booking fee. Any cancelations within 7 days of the course date cannot be refunded.
Use the coupon code:
during checkout to receive the discount.
*for online purchases only.